These are strange times. With COVID-19 all over the news and all over my job – I work in healthcare – I’m craving distraction and cheerfulness. Not in order to pretend current events are not happening, but in order to nourish my mental health and ensure I’ll continue to be able to support others in the months to come. I’m sure others could use some positive energy too, so I’m sharing my current playlist for everyone to enjoy. Needless to say, I don’t own copyright of any of these songs and encourage listeners to support the artists who created them.
1. Curtis Mayfield – Move on Up
Possibly the best motivational song ever written. Uplifting for those blue moments.
2. Incognito ft. Jocelyn Brown – Always There
A great song to dance to with truly amazing vocals.
3. Labelle – It Took a Long Time
A religious song offering hope even to the non-religious.
4. Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band – Zig Zag Wanderer
Swag and filthy bass lines, what’s not to like?
5. John Coltrane ft. Duke Ellington – In a Sentimental Mood
For when you want to indulge in melancholia for a bit.
6. Sly and the Family Stone – I Want To Take You Higher (Live at Woodstock)
Need some energy to get out of your Netflix stupor? This is your song.
7. Piero Umiliani – Good Morning Sun
Start your day as you mean to go on with some vintage Italian music.
8. Big Brother and the Holding Company – Combination of the Two
Janis Joplin. Need I say more?
For when you feel really sorry for yourself.
Dance away your righteous anger about the state of the world.
11. The Clark Sisters – Hallelujah
Energy! Energy! Energy!
12. Jimmy ‘Bo’ Horne – Dance Across the Floor
Because sometimes you just need some cheesy disco in your life.
13. George Harrison – What Is Life
Because: George Harrison.
14. Rebecca Clarke – I’ll Bid My Heart Be Still
Quiet beauty for introspection and reflection.
Dreamy and very French. Holiday in a song.
Or… You could just play Fatboy Slim’s Lockdown Mixtape and throw a rave party in your living room.
Image my own – Happy memories of the beach